Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Another kid has complication from obesity related surgery

A couple in South Texas is suing a doctor after their daughters obesity surgery. I can't believe a parent would put their kid through that kind of torture. I can't believe that a parent would want so much for their child to be thin, they will subject them to surgery to "fix" them.

I feel so sad for this child, in so many ways. I wonder if he or she was made to feel less of a person, that they were bad or not worthy of being happy. I can't imagine projecting such fat hate onto a child, especially when as a parent you should be setting an example of love, compassion, and acceptance. How do you force your child into that kind of world? How can you teach a child that there is something wrong with them just because they are fat?

I hope this kid figures it out one day.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I understand where you're coming from, but it sounds like you jumped to the offensive before you studied harder.

It could've been a health problem. Someone who gains weight slowly and IS healthy being overweight, and also has built up a tolerance for being able to carry the extra weight on their frame...is a whole lot different than a child who gained weight rapidly and has debilitating health because of it.

It's terrible that complications arose, yes, but I'm sure the parents did what's best for their child. There areplenty of fat kids in the world whos' parents DON'T jump to conclusions, and just start giving them apples instead of french fries, and going for walks instead of going online.

You make a lot of good points but not everyone who wants to lose weight, or wants someone else to lose weight is anti-fat. It just means they know that person "could" be healthier. Every overweight person is different. I think it's wonderful that you're happy the way you are, and I wish I could be that way. But some people aren't...and some people do want to be smaller for health reasons, comfort reasons, social situations, or maybe even just the vain fact of fitting into cuter clothes that look better in smaller sizes.

All I'm saying is, you shouldn't come off so harsh to those parents. They probably did what they thought was necessary for the health of their child.

 
template by suckmylolly.com