Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Self hate-STOP IT!

Making degrading remarks about yourself because of low self esteem does not relieve you of responsibility. It's probably offensive to someone else. Because it is offensive to someone else, standing behind your right to view you as you see fit means you are still spreading hate. Not just self hate, but the entire idea that whatever you called yourself is wrong. If what and who you are is wrong, isn't everyone else who embodies the same qualities wrong?

If you are fat, and you call yourself a cow, whale, disgusting, gross, etc, you are also saying it about other fat people. You further the idea that there is something wrong with fat. When you view yourself as a problem, suddenly everyone else in the group becomes the problem. The sad part is, the problem is yours and you don't want to own it.

The solution is simple. Stop thinking of yourself in negative and degrading ways. You are your own worst enemy and the first person that can stop negative thinking from spreading.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your posts very much.

It's very hard for most people though isn't it? I've just lost quite a bit of weight, and am now at my target dress size of a UK10.

When I was big, I always looked at size 10 women and thought wow they are so slim and when I'm a size 10, I'll be so happy. Now I am a size 10 though, I still look at my legs and bum and hate them. I'm getting there though!

Minnie.x
http://newlyskinnyminnie.wordpress.com/

Liz said...

I can only echo your comments! But as Minnie said, it's also so hard; so MANY of us, regardless of size, accentuate the negative and not the positive. My sister has lost 30 pounds. What does she complain about? Her upper arms. Hey, she's past 50! There's jiggle there, especially after the weight loss. She looks great, but won't wear sleeveless dresses or shirts. And it's hot out!

I'm working hard on self-acceptance and positive body image. Have you heard of/read the book, "Embracing Your Big Fat Ass?" It's funny and empowering and a call to arms (even jiggly ones!) to accept yourself just the way you are, fat arms/butt/etc., and all. My sister and I have both read it and consider ourselves proud members of the BFAB Society.

Anonymous said...

Tell it girl! I am a plus size chic and I have a friend that is always talking about how fat she is. And she is smaller than I am. One day I had to sit her down and say I can't hang out with you if you don't start to love yourself. I mean if you think you are fat and what do you think of me? Are you referring to me as fat? Probably so and if not...something is seriously wrong with you then.

Hip Hype Central said...

Well some are just like that. They feel sorry for themselves and being negative in a lot of ways including on how they see their reflection in the mirror. They neglect the fact that there are also someone with the same case and even worst that they just accept who they are and what they look like and just trying to live happily.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this website by accident and am I glad I did.Purely inspirational and quite beautiful thanks for making me feel good about myself

Plus Size Panties said...

Self Confidence is the only thing one can trust on for gaining any self respect. Others also would respect only when you respect yourself. It is more so for the body. If the plus size women love their body as their zero sized counterparts, the world would respect them.

Diamond said...

I really enjoyed reading your post, was highly inspirational. I used to hate myself so much that I ended up anorexic and dying...and luckily got back on track with the help of some very precious friends! You said it right: Self-loathing is an extremely dangerous thing- to our own selves and to others as well!
Thanks for posting! xx

Clipping Path Service said...

Amazing, this is a great article! I did enjoyed reading it, keep your post .

 
template by suckmylolly.com